With the increase in ransomware attacks like WannaCry or WannaCrypt infection that has been surfaced recently on the web, the internet has become even more dangerous when it comes to your safety and privacy.
And most of such attacks are more evident when you are on a public or shared Wi-Fi network. But there are a lot of things that you can do to safeguard yourself from such attacks while on the Public Wi-Fi network.
Here are the top 10 Ways to Stay Safe on Public Wi-Fi.
1. Try to avoid using the Public W-Fi if it is not any urgent scenario. Public Wi-Fi networks are open to all, and therefore a proper hygiene should be maintained while dealing with the stuff you do on a public Wi-Fi network.
It not only keep your data and identity vulnerable but also will be even more dangerous if you got infected by any threat – WannaCry for example.
Of course, there are methods to keep you safe while you are on a public Wi-Fi, are also mentioned in this write-up.
2. Choose responsibly– All the public Wi-Fi networks are not created for the same purpose and with not the same intentions.
The Wi-Fi network on an airport will always keep you at some level of vulnerability as compared to the ones that are available in a coffee shop or retail stores; those are safer.
You can use several apps and tools that can detect and rule out the questionable networks and prevents you from connecting to them; you can use WiFox for that purpose.
3. Use of Semi-opened Wi-Fi Networks makes you secure. The Semi-open Wi-Fi network first registers you on their network, and they might also ask you to feed in your phone number or even email address to take care about your identity. This way you are left secured.
4. Turn off file sharing functionality- So it has been clear as of now that a public Wi-Fi network will always leave you vulnerable as far as your data is concerned.
Make sure to disable the data sharing feature to ensure that the data present on your devices and the data you are transmitting via your online activities don’t get compromised.
5. Switching off the Wi-Fi – When it is not is use- sometimes our phones, laptops and other wifi enabled devices are set to search for any open networks and they might auto connect to these networks when such networks are in range.
So to prevent that, make sure to disable the Wifi on your phone to ensure that it won’t auto connect to any networks automatically?
6. Keep Windows, and antivirus applications up to date- There is not much to explain here. Updating the antivirus software and windows update time to time will help you, in the long run, to keep your PC or smartphone safe.
Avira or Avast are the recommended ones. Just ensure that you don’t use two Antivirus at the same time.
7. Install privacy protecting browser extensions – Privacy can always be protected and keeps you safe when you install such secure browser extensions.
These extensions will block any website or network to get the details regarding your personal stuff such as your location. You can always install ad blocker extensions to enhance your safety.
8. Use HTTPS protocol instead of HTTP- well, nowadays by default almost all the websites that we work on runs on the HTTPS protocols.
Therefore there is not much to tell regarding this. But if you feel any suspicious activity on any website, do check for the HTTPS protocol and proceed only if you trust the source and network completely. HTTPS will always give you an edge as far as the security and safety are concerned.
9. VPN services– Virtual Private Networks are the best option while you are on a Public Wi-Fi network to make you safe. What VPN does is, it masks your IP address and location and even all the other information that are stored on your devices.
Also, the VPN prevents any inbound connections that are kind of questionable. If you are looking for recommendations, here are the best VPN service providers for you.
10. Keeping your OWN Wi-Fi will be somewhat a job of a hassle, but why not? You can get several plans. And yes, it’ll not always be a cheap option to go with that is why it is the last option on our list.
There are no chances of compromising with your security and safety when you use your Wi-Fi over Public networks.
So these are the 10 ways through which you can stay safe on Public WiFi. I hope you will implement the same from now to play safe!
Sejal Parmar is a security researcher and a ghost writer at http://ransomwares.net/. She mostly covers all the issues and solution related to Ransomware.